Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bran Muffins

Half of these are banana zucchini muffins, but I'll share that recipe another time.

I like to make these mini size so that my kids can easily eat them. This is also my solution to get some fiber in their diets, because they love to eat these!

Recipe from Pat Clements

I've also made them with substitutions when I didn't have all the ingredients. My substitutions/changes are in red.

Ingredients:

  • 2 c. boiling water
  • 1/2 c. shortening (I just use 1 c. of margarine instead of the shortening & margarine.)
  • 1/2 c. margarine
  • 4 c. Kellogg's All Bran
  • 2 c. Nabisco 100% bran (This cereal is no longer made, so I substituted bran flakes, but you could also use Kellogg's All Bran Bran Buds.)
  • 2 1/2 c. sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 quart buttermilk (whole milk)
  • 5 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 5 c. flour

Directions:

  1. Pour water over shortening, water and brans. Stir and let cool.
  2. Add rest of ingredients and stir well.
  3. Pour into greased muffin tins and bake for 20 mins. at 400 degrees.
  4. Can be stored in fridge for up to four weeks if covered tightly. I usually freeze half of them & keep half in the fridge.

**This makes a ton, so if I'm making mini muffins, I only use half the recipe.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment